Friday, February 16, 2007

Switching from Windows to Macintosh - Chapter 7

Hello, again;

Today I discovered something new. I downloaded the beta of the next version of Parallels Desktop and boy, is it neat! They've taught it a new trick! Now you can run your Windows programs, and Parallels Desktop can be configured to hide all traces of Vista (or XP). It looks as if the Windows program is running directly on the OS X desktop. And yet, it is easy to access the Windows menu or taskbar if needed. The Windows program you are running can be noticed by a slight flicker if you move the window it is running in around on the desktop, but other than that, it seems to be as if it was any other program on the desktop. This is really cool - now I can have most any program I might need.

Not only this, but the documentation mentions the ability to import virtual machines created in VMware. If this works, I can bring over the Windows XP VM I created that way last year. Then I'll have access to XP if I need it.

Printing from the Parellels Desktop programs works with no problems.

I am a happy camper!

-Pop

No comments: