Thursday, April 5, 2007

Switching from Windows to Macintosh - Chapter 13

Hello, World!

Still loving the Mac! I have almost eliminated any need for Windows programs. The very few I do need, I run in Parallels Desktop or on my other machine. One thing that bothered me was the lack of alternatives to Excel on the Mac. Thankfully, I've finally found one that works well. Go to http://www.neooffice.org and take a look at NeoOffice. NeoOffice is OpenOffice for the Mac. Spreadsheet support is excellent - I pulled in a multipage Excel spreadsheet, and the only thing I found a bit strange was that it changed the text I had in some graph legends, replacing it with the column and row numbers. Not bad at all. Best of all, it's free!

I mention only the spreadsheet, but NeoOffice also offers a Word compatible word processor, as well as presentation tools and a database. I am not as familiar with them, so I'll offer no comment at this point. If I had known about this suite when I bought my Mac, I could have saved $79 I spent on iWork 06.

I bought a copy of Ecto, which I've been using in trial mode to bring this up to date. It is a good program, designed to make posting or revising a blog easy.

I am still astounded that the Mac lifestyle includes leaving many programs running all the time for instant access. At this moment, I am running ten (10) programs simultaneously, and that does not include the finder or desktop. Several of these are big programs, too. The system has not detectably slowed down. I left all this running, cranked up Parallels Desktop, launching Vista, ran Solid Edge, printed a drawing, closed Solid Edge, Vista and Parallels Desktop. While I was in Vista, it downloaded and installed one of it's updates. There is no noticeable slowdown of the system, that I can tell.

I'm still amazed.

Have an excellent Easter holiday, and remember Who it's about!

-Pop

No comments: