Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Death

Howdy, everybody;

There comes a time in every person's life when you know for sure that you will die. I don't think young people can really conceive of this. It comes as a realization one day that you really aren't getting out of this life, alive.

I am a Christian; and it is appointed to every man (person) to die once. This is an intellectual understanding. I have an idea about what comes after, and yes, I believe I will be going to Heaven to be with Jesus. So I'm not really afraid of death. But I'm not in any particular hurry to get there, either. That's for later. My time is not yet. It's just that I now realize that someday it really will happen, to me.

There is a curious freedom in the realization that there will be an ending of this earthly life. Even a sense of relief. Some day, each of us will be called back into the Presence. And those of us who love Jesus will get to stay there. No more pain; much joy. Completion, in the full meaning of the word.

It seems to me that a healthy person will do what they can to prolong life, without being a fanatic about it. There's no point in worrying too much about it - you know for sure that you're going anyway, at some point. Relax, and think about good things in your life. Cherish them, for they have a limit.

I have thought sometimes, over the years, that funerals demonstrate something confused in the belief systems held by most Christians. You go to a funeral and those with an emotional attachment to the deceased will all be crying and feeling bad. And yet, for a Christian, dying is like winning the lottery! We should be congratulating the deceased for graduating, rather than selfishly bemoaning their loss. Curious.

I hope that when I pass on, the survivors have a family get-together and enjoy a good time together, knowing that we will meet again in the fullness of time, Lord willing.

In any case, life has its good moments, and they should be enjoyed to the fullest. It is never a waste of time to sit on the front porch and enjoy the occasional nice day. Make the most of it.

There are two kinds of people - who, being thrown out of an airplane at 30,000 feet without a parachute: one kind will scream all the way down; the other will enjoy the view. I think I am one of the latter group.

I'm 54 years old, and enjoying the view!

-Pop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have felt two completely different extremes in my life. I've felt I'll live forever but I've also felt like I'll be dead before I'm 40. Of course those were usually the times when I was not completely in control of my car...