Sunday, February 3, 2008

Alcoholism

Howdy;

This morning, I heard alcoholism referred to as a ‘disease’ on the radio. So I looked up the definition of ‘disease’, and I found, to my surprise, that alcoholism could possibly fall within the definition.

I always thought that a disease was a sickness you get from an infectious agent of some kind.

I want to be perfectly clear here: Alcoholism is something you do to yourself, voluntarily; and as such, it does NOT deserve the sympathy that should be reserved for the sick. I reserve my sympathy for the families and coworkers of the alcoholic; but I spare none for the alcoholic himself.

I’ve seen up close and personal the things that go on in the families of an alcoholic - and I have no sympathy at all for the alcoholic.

If you feel that you need to drink, for whatever reason, be aware that you are making a choice that can and will affect everyone around you, most especially those who love you. If you become an alcoholic as a result of your behavior, you WILL put all those you love through hell. So don’t.

This exact same sentiment applies to doing recreational drugs of any sort, as well.

Don’t go there!

-Pop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite quotes...

Alcoholism is a disease but it's the only disease you can get yelled at for having...

"Dammit Otto, you're an alcoholic."

"Dammit Otto, you have lupus."

- (the late and great) Mitch Hedberg

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,as per my opinion consuming alcohol should be baned.As we know it is injurious to health.It is good to see that a lot of people are going to rehab.Moreover in my point of view one can quit alcohol addiction by his own strong determination.Finally it is a serious threat to the society.

regards

kim

Alcohol abuse affects millions.This site has a lot of useful information.
Alcohol Abuse